|technical & model details|
|interior lighting||ja, mehrfarbig|
|running number||WGye831 11-591|
|special features||Mit MP3-Player und Lautsprecher|
|digital & sound|
|factory fitted Digital Sound|
Prototype: In the young Federal Republic of Germany, day trips to scenic areas were growing in popularity. DB did not want to leave this business area to the bus company and therefore put company cars into service in the early 1950s. No new vehicles were procured for this, but four-axle passenger cars of the pre-war types were used as the basis. The express train car series of the 1936 design built in the late 1930s and early 1940s mostly had no interior fittings, as they were better suited for patient transport. From 1950 the DB equipped most of the four-axle vehicles with upholstered seats and put them into service as the C4ye-36/50 (later the B4ye-36-50). Various already empty cars were used as party cars. The wagons were given a bar at one end and a compartment for accompanying personnel installed at the other. In between, depending on the occasion, chairs and tables could be placed or a dance floor could be set up. For many events, a mixed form with a dance floor and seats was chosen. Loudspeakers and lighting effects turned the cars into rolling discos. During the day the blinds were often left down so that the disco lighting could unfold its effect. If required, sound could also be heard around the car via the standard external loudspeakers. The company cars were either attached to regular trains or were part of a special train. "When used as an additional dining car, the company car is lined up directly in front of or behind the dining car from which it is served," can be read in the vehicle dictionary published by DB in 1971. "As these cars are in great demand, we recommend that you order them early from the travel service of the Federal Railway Directorate," the brochure continues. DB did not take the last company cars out of service until the mid-1980s.